CERTIFICATE IN CATECHESIS
The Catechetical Department runs an 18 moths Distance (On-line) and Contact Classes certificate course in Catechesis for parish catechism teachers, as well as individuals seeking adult faith formation. This certificate course in Catechesis looks at the ministry of catechesis within the contest of the Church’s mission to evangelize. The objective is:
- Understand the relationship between evangelization and catechesis
- Identify the purpose, goals, tasks and essential content of catechesis
- Learn the importance of appropriate methodology for catechesis of various age groups
- Understand the role of the catechist and the importance of this vocation
THE TRAINING IS IN FOUR MODULES NAMELY:
- Theology: The content of catechesis and understanding the catechism with emphasis on the first three sections of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Skills Development: This is aimed at educating the catechist in various:
- Catechetical approaches
- Learning styles; and
- Classroom management
- PRAYER AND SPIRITUALITY
- The Practicum: A period of practical teaching experience and further development of catechetical skills in the Parishes
- Sacred Scripture
- General Dictionary for Catechesis
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Catechesis Tradendae
- Any other recommended book by the lectures
This course consists of eleven course content and each requires a short written task (within 1500 – 2000 words) which forms part of the assessment; and an outline plan of a Catechetical session at the end of the course. Completion of the entire course is determined by either a pass or fail.
On-line students (outside Lagos): Contact class once a semester
Regular Students: Contact classes twice a month, other lectures are online
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS:
You must have Internet access. A high-speed connection.
You should know how to use a web browser to navigate the web, to locate educational resources and download files.
You will need the files management skills necessary to create directories, to save files and to retrieve files.
To be admitted for this programme, the candidate must possess:
- At least four (4) O Level credits, English language inclusive:
Each module will be assessed by a written assignment of words not more than 2000 – 3000 words and a final exam will be in the form of a project presentation of not exceeding 5000 words; and an outline plan for a catechetical session.
Same as On-line students; and an outline plan for a catechetical session which will be used for Teaching Practice in a parish assigned.
PROCESS OF ADMISSION
Applicants are to download the application form from the link and forward same with other requisite documents to the College or the email address on the application form.
APPLICATION FORM FEE: N2,000
On-line Students: Forty-Five Thousand Naira (N45,000) Per Year
Regular Students: Thirty-Five Thousand Naira (#35,000) Per Year
+234 802 4582945, 08033574050